Saturday, July 19, 2008

Top binding channel routed... purfling scored.

Learning from my mistakes on the back, I was careful not to tip the router inward when I routed the top binding channel. For the most part, it went well... but it wasn't perfect. No matter, the purflings will cover up any flaws from that cut. I can see the advantage of using The Universal Binding Machine. It keeps the router vertical, no worries. I may build one of these before I build my next guitar. That being said, the most critical cut is next: routing the purfling channel.
But before I do that, I scored it using The IBEX Purfling Groove Cutter:

This helps prevent tear-out on the soft spruce top. Technically I could remove this material with a chisel, but the router is easier and more accurate especially in controlling the vertical depth. The purflings are 0.130" wide x 0.080" tall, so I switched the bearing on my router bit from the 0.840" bearing to a 0.580" bearing. Given the 1" cutter, this new bearing will now cut a 0.210" horizontal channel with respect to the side - 0.080" for the bindings, and 0.130" for the purfling. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do this tomorrow.

No comments: