Wednesday, July 23, 2008

End wedge channel

Last night I cut the end wedge channel, sometimes called the butt wedge. My wife thinks that's a funny name to call it, having both the word "butt" and "wedge" next to each other. No matter. The dimensions I used were fairly arbitrary, only thing I could determine from looking at other guitars is that it is usually wider on the top side... if it's tapered at all.

The angle is about 2.5 ยบ. It is fairly narrow right now, I could always widen it up if I don't like how it turns out.

The vice-versa came in real handy in trying to mount the guitar to cut this channel. I cut the edges with a small tenon saw, then used my 6mm chisel to remove the side material. Still have to clean up the channel and cut the piece of maple that goes in there... but that shouldn't take too long.
Also been working on the peghead design. Even though I have a lot of work left to do on the body, I've been itching to get started on the neck. The peghead is the first step. It seems to me that of all the distinguishing features on a guitar, the peghead is most telling of WHO or what company made it. You can look at most any peghead and tell either by the shape or the emblem who made it. So I have been agonizing over this decision for some time... not exactly sure what shape I wanted.

But recently, I have made some headway. I finally think I am reasonably happy with this shape. It is based on the Taylor curves, with the top modified to be more curvy instead of having the two points in the center.

No comments: