Friday, July 25, 2008

End Wedge, Peghead and more...

A few days ago I received another order from LMI. Within that was some black fiber (0.020") to be used as purfling. It comes in a sheet 6" x 36", it is a wood/paper product that is reasonably flexible. The plan is to trim the binding with this; to go between the binding and the back/sides.
First step is to trim the end wedge with it, which I did tonight.

I put two pieces of this trim in the end wedge channel, then shoved the end wedge in. Nothing to it, I probably didn't even need the tap. The wedge shape gives it a good tight fit. I'll trim it to length once it's dried, then plane/scrape/sand flush with the sides.
Next, I took some full length pieces of this and began working it around the guitar in the binding channel. While it is very flexible perpendicular to the thickness (like rolling paper),
it isn't as much trying to bend it parallel with the thickness since I cut strips that were roughly 0.080" tall. So I added a little water... and began taping it down to the scrap left over from the inside of my form.

This is the exact shape it will employ on the guitar. What luck I still had these laying around, I never thought I would find a use for these. As you can see, I taped it down and let it dry. A little heat was useful at the waist area due to the tight curve. I'm not sure if these will be for the top or back, but either way I'll have to form another set at some point.
Last, but not least, I glued on the headplate and maple veneer (between headplate and neck).

I shapped the peghead with a bandsaw prior to gluing the headplate on. Once the glue dries, I'll use a coping saw to cut the headplate to shape. Then sand it with a spindle sander.
Next step: gluing the herringbone purfling on the top !!!

No comments: