Monday, July 28, 2008

Herringbone Perfling done

This weekend I glued in the herringbone perfling on the top. It was somewhat stressful, I have to admit. Felt like I was racing the clock to get it all taped and bound before the glue setup. But in the end, it turned out a little better than I hoped.

You can see the bicycle tire tubes I used to bind it after the taping. Most of them are CA glued together... but the piece I had prepared wasn't long enough so I quickly cut another tube and tied it on at the end. Before I do the bindings I'll fix this and make it even longer. I trash picked about a dozen tubes, more than I will ever need.

There are a couple spots that aren't perfect, but probably aren't noticeable to anyone but myself. I may be able to fix this during the finish process.
As for the bindings, there are a few locations where the purfling sticks out over the binding ledge... this is ok since there won't be a gap when I put the binding on. But the opposite is a problem, and there is 2-3 of those locations. On is under the fretboard which won't be seen. But one is at the waist, so I have to shave down that ledge before I glue on the binding. This will be tough since it's an inside curve.
This week I'm rather busy, probably won't get back to it until next weekend. But it's good to get this step done, starting to look cool.

1 comment:

David said...

Wow, you did the perfling as a separate step. I haven't seen that done before. I have always done both the binding and perfling at the same time. The only other time I have seen two of them done separate is when the perfling is going to be shell, then a teflon strip is used. No matter though, your perfling looks great! On to the bindings now.... :)