Monday, July 14, 2008

Back routed... and an Ooops.

When I got home from vacation, a package from LMI was waiting for me. Of primary interest was the router bit and 2 rabbit bearins to do the binding and purfling channels. My setup uses a rabbiting bit AND the router side attachment... see here. My understanding is that the rabbit gives the proper depth of cut, and the side attachment keeps the router from tipping outward. Some people just use one or the other, but more control is better. That being said, nothing (except the operator) keeps the router from tipping inward (see below). The only way to prevent it from tipping inward would be to use a wider base... but then the angle would be off at different points in the curvature of the top/back. There are better ways to do it (LMI, Taylor-Factory-Fridays-Binding-part-1), but they are much more complicated to setup.

You might be able to see it from that picture... if not, try the next one. Turns out the router "lurched" (due to operator error) and left a 0.020" slice about 1/2" long. I was a bit upset at first, but I figured out how to fix it rather quickly. I took two thin granadillo shavings (from when I profiled the sides) and super glued them over the area. Once the glue dried, I chiseled and sanded the excess away. The area is now smooth, but with a slight discoloration.

I doubt this will be noticeable after the sanding, pore filling and finishing.
Next, I'll route the same channel on the top (being a shade more careful this time), then route the purfling channel last (being MUCH more careful on that pass).

1 comment:

David said...

Hi Ryan,

It is great to see you got part of the routing done. It is a bit scary the first time but it really isn't all that hard. I just did my routing yesterday. I had three very small "oop's" like yours on the back also that I will fix with some sanding dust. Not a big deal, I had this happen before so I know it can be fixed almost invisibly.

One thing you might want to consider. I always do the perfling route first, then the binding route. The reason for this is that once the binding channel is routed, you end up with a very narrow piece of side wood for the bearing to ride on while routing the perfling channel. If you do the perfling channel first you still have plenty of side wood for the bearing. Just something to think about.

David