Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sound Hole ?!?

Back when I started this I never imagined that I'd put a sound hole in my first guitar. But now it seems possible... even easy now that I understand how and why to do it.
So the plan is to do one later on after the bindings are on. But I need to add reinforcement material in that area BEFORE I glue the back one... which will be soon.
So I glued on three separate pieces of laminate, each about 0.025" thick. The first and third ran with the grain of the sides... the middle one ran perpendicular. The first two were oak (rather grainy), the final one was maple to give a clean look.
The soundhole will be an oval 1" tall by 1-1/2" wide, located at about 45 º... but slightly toward the neck. Actually one edge of the oval will be at about 45º, the other will be 1-1/2" toward the neck.

No comments: