Thursday, November 20, 2008

You're so insensitive...

Well, not anymore. Last night I awoke at 3am to an extreme itchy-ness around my eyes and eye-lids. My right eye was almost swollen shut, some of the swollen-ness could be from the rubbing that I did to stop the itch. This happened Monday night too, but not nearly as bad. In fact, I have had a little of this for a few weeks... ever since I created some Macassar Ebony sanding dust on the spindle sander. I did this on purpose, to collect and ultimately mix with epoxy to fill in the fret slots. This worked great, problem is that I have sensitized myself to Macassar Ebony by touching the dust with my hands... and probably my hands to my face and eyes at various times.

A search on the internet shows that Macassar Ebony contains macassar II, a ß-naphthol "derivative that may become oxidised in vivo to macassar quinone. This compound has been shown to have sensitizing properties... Cross-sensitivity to other naphthoquinones" (three found in zericote, pao ferro, cocobolo, becote, and padauk) are possible. "Later testing confirmed sensitivity to R-3,4-dimethoxydalbergione (found in pao ferro), obtusaquinone (found in cocobolo), and macassar quinone (found in macassar ebony)."

It is the dust, I'm sure. But I wonder if I will react to simply touching the wood/fretboard after the guitar is done. Ebony is generally not oiled/sealed because it doens't need to be. I may have to regardless.

No comments: