Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Something to fret about...

I cut and installed all the frets yesterday. Prior to installing each one, I used a triangular file to bevel each side of the fret slot. Then I dabbed a bit of Titebond hyde glue in the slot prior to inserting each fret, this helped to lubricate the fret as it went in.

All frets went well except the very last one... not because it was the last one chronologically, but because it was the last fret on the end. I cut the end of the fretboard about 1/4" past the 21st fret... leaving it long enough to cover up the inner rosette on the top, yet short enough not to infringe on the sound hole. In hind site, I wish I had specified only 20 frets to be slotted. Anyway, this small amount of material past the 21st fret left it weak. When I pounded the slot in, it split a little bit in the horizontal direction at the bottom of the fret slot. I poured a bit more hyde glue in and tried to clamp the fret down... but it didn't hold.

This picture isn't the best, but you may be able to see the left end is sticking up. I think it may have to be removed and fixed in a more permanent fashion.

No comments: