Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No more ebony dust

A friend of mine (David of upstate NY) suggested I use Black CA glue to fill in under the frets instead of mixing the killer ebony dust that I had been doing. This was a brilliant, if not obvious suggestion that escaped me. Black CA glue is sold almost exclusively by StewMac... but since I'm not ordering anything from them in the near future, I decided on black epoxy. I found some black epoxy at the hardware store, but after sampling this it turned out to be a milky, dark grey color that didn't match the dark black and medium brown streaks of the macassar ebony very well. I also had another friend of mine (what a coincidence, his name is DAVE too!) loan me some black pigment to mix with clear epoxy. After sampling the pigment epoxy, it looked jet black and should work nice. The photo above is the tupperware container full of macassar ebony dust that now resides in the trash, never again to be opened in my shop!

No comments: