Saturday, February 16, 2008

Versa Vice

My brother-in-law Jerry gave me a Versa Vice a few months back, he even re-painted it for me! This is the original Versa Vice, not the current Parrot vice sold today. The main difference as I can see is that the original has taller jaws, whereas the Parrot vice has shorter, wider jaws. Anyway, I've always been hesitant to drill mounting holes for it in my melamine top. So I built a 6" extension using roller ball bearing drawer slides. That way when I'm not using it I can simply remove it from the workbench to have a clean top to work on.
This vice is so flexible compared to standard vices. It can rotate and pivot to just about any orientation... which will come in handy for shaping the braces on the top.

UPDATE: It is interesting, Brownells.com sells what looks like the Parrot vice (only painted green) for a LOT more money, they call it the MULTI-VICE. I can't figure out the difference. Brownells is a gunsmithing store.

1 comment:

David said...

Hi Ryan,

You are going to love that Versa Vice. That is one thing very high on my list of 'to get' items. One day when I am placing a Grizzly order I will add a Parrot vice.

I just updated my blog today. Been really busy for the last month but I think things will slow up a bit and I will get some time to work on the guitars again.

David