Monday, February 18, 2008

Brace Carving

When I first began carving the braces I used the sanding dish as a base... until I made a few gouges in my sanding dish - *doh!*. I realized then that I needed a workboard: 1-1/2" thick piece of plywood cut out in the shape of the guitar with a cork shim around the edge to account for the slight radius on the top. So I made one, wasn't too hard. It has a 2x2 bolted onto the bottom down the middle so a vice can grip it. The workboard has threaded inserts in it so the 2x2 can be removed if desired. Next, I realized that my Harbor Freight chisels weren't going to work. So I ordered better ones, see previous post.
Finally, I needed a really small plane to help work the braces into a more triangular/rounded shape. The small kunz plane (3-5/16" sole) I have is just too big for this. I found an Ibex #2 flat sole (30mm) finger plane at Woodcraft on closeout, perfect. Couple this with my $10 gift card and it only cost me $27. This plane and the 3 chisels cost me $105 total, *sigh*. Oh well, they'll last a lifetime.
This picture shows the workboard being supported by the Versa Vice at an angle. Although this feels a bit high, not sure if I can use it this way. Alternatively I can clamp the workboard to the bench directly, but then it is more difficult to rotate it around compared to being in the Versa Vice.
Also of note, as you can see I covered the exposed areas of the underside of the top with heavy white paper to "protect" it from chisel error. Obviously a sharp chisel will slice through this if enough force is applied, but it does help.

No comments: