Monday, February 25, 2008

More Brace Carving

Last night I spent about 90 minutes carving the top braces, I am about 90% done with the carving. I just need to work the ends of the braces so they fit in the kerfing slots (which haven't been made yet) and then some sanding. Once it gets glued to the sides, it may be necessary to remove more material depending on how it responds to mechanical excitation (tapping).
The first chisel I bought was a 10mm (3/8"), this seemed to me the appropriate size. But acting on the advice of a fellow luthier, I later bought a 16mm (5/8"). After using them for the night, the 16mm definitely has the best feel. A larger chisel seems counter-intuitive to me, but gave me the best control. I don't think it has anything to do with physical size, but rather due to its larger mass/inertia.

No comments: