Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Back with LMI

I'm back leaning toward LMI. The Martin kit cost $425, going the LMI route will cost me an extra $90. But in the end I think I will be happier. The primary reason is probably the instructions, since it comes with the O'brien DVD and a full size plan compared to a thin, vague manual from Martin. Having better instructions as a first timer gives me peace of mind, whereas the Martin manual gives me anxiety. Secondary to that though, I think I will learn more. Martin does certain easy steps for me (shape braces, mark bracing locations, etc) and doesn't do other tricker steps like joining the back. I will also have to make my own bridge since I want 2-1/4" spacing. Thirdly, it allows me a more figured AAA bearclaw top, a back/side wood OTHER than East Indian Rosewood, 25.5" scale, and a few other customizations. The Martin kit is really a heck of a deal dollar wise... if only they would upgrade their manual. LMI, on the other hand, simply allows so many options that it is worth the extra cost.

No comments: