Thursday, June 7, 2007

Back & forth & back...

About a day after my last post, I was back on the LMI kit for a very good reason. I have decided that I want a wider neck. My Martin DCME has a 1-11/16" nut, 2-1/8" bridge... and I don't like that. So by default I was back with LMI which allows me to change/customize just about everything. The neck/fretboard comes wide enough for this, and I could also make the scale up to 25.5", which to me is preferrable to the Martin 25.34". The LMI kit cost is more... roughly $50-75 all things being equal. And since LMI has soooo many options, its hard for me to NOT tacked on another $50 in a nicer top and Camatillo B/S. In addition to this, there were a few more tools required... so the cost difference is over $100.
However, recently I learned that it might be possible to get an Martin OM kit with 1-3/4" neck width at the nut, 2-1/4" bridge. If this is possible I will probably do it, preference being with a bolt-on neck over the dovetail and jumbo over OM. But due to cost considerations the 1-3/4" nut is all that matters.

No comments: