Monday, July 9, 2007

A package...



No, that isn't a kit from LMI... but it is my first order from them. I am "fixing" my Martin DCME, so I needed to buy some fretting supplies... things I will need when I build my kit anyway.




As you can see, a fret crowning file, a set of 8 Ibanez nut files, 16" radiusing block, extra saddle blank, fretboard oil and an OM plan for me to get started on a mold.

Back to my Martin... it has taken me a long time (7 years), but I have finally figured out that the first fret is high... really high. By my measurements it is between 6-8 mils higher than it should be. All these years I couldn't figure out why it played so hard in open position, I thought it was me or my lack of ability. I generally capo'd (2) when ever I could. Now that I understand how to dress the frets, it makes sense that "factory" guitars have high first frets.

So the plan is to level the frets with a mill file (done), crown the frets with the frety crowning file (done), then sand the frets and touch up the fretboard if necessary. Once the fret work is done, the nut will need to be lowered, action re-set and saddle lowered (or possibly a new one) to give better/lower action than before.

1 comment:

David said...

Hehe, your first LMI package. Sorry to inform you but you are now officially hooked. There is no way out, and there is no known rehab for this addiction. Say goodbye to all of your spare cash!