Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Top Flush-trimed...

I used the router setup as seen on the last post to flush trim the top. It really wasn't that bad, the bearing bit and side attachment protected the guitar from any "lack of experience/control" on my behalf.
But I realized as I'm doing it that it the plexiglass base that rides on the guitar top isn't correct. Ideally, the router bit will be parallel with the sides... but since the top is domed and the angle varies at different places around the rim, there should be as little contact with the base as possible. In fact, only 2 points on the base (co-linear with router bit) should touch the top. So I re-made the base plate out of wood:
As you can see the sides guide the router around the rim keeping the router bit parallel with the sides at all times, allowing the router base to touch in only a thin strip along the edge such that the angle the top makes doesn't affect the router. Yes this is a bit tricky to control, a balancing act if you will. But it is the correct way to do it. I'll give it a test run to flush trim the back after I glue it on.

No comments: