Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Router ready

The last few nights I've been working on my router... to get it ready for flush trimming the sides and ultimately routing the binding/purfling channels. First, I removed the plexiglass plate that came with the router and added a bigger version that extends 2" further than the original. But I didn't just slap it on, I shimmed it by a washer to give a slight angle. This angle varies from 90.9º to 91.6º, and is to compensate for the fact that the top and back are slightly domed... 30' on the top, 15' on the back. The washer I used was 0.040" thick, but perfect compensation would be 0.030" at the top/bottom and 0.080" at the waist... splitting the difference is probably good enough.
This router came with a side attachment, but wouldn't work with my 3/4" flush trim (negative shear angle) bit from CMT. So I added a wooden piece to it (as seen in photo) even though I probably don't need to since I'm using a bearing bit... it gives more room for error. This arrangement should also work with the 1" rabbiting bit I'll use with the bindings/purflings since it is somewhat adjustable. I'll probably wait to do the flush trim until after the back is on... until then I'll just practice on some scrap a few times.

No comments: