Saturday, May 24, 2008

Fit top to neck...

This morning, I had some time and decided to fit the neck, sides and top all together. My concern is to make sure that the neck is straight with respect to the top, it would be real bad if I glued the top to the sides... and then found out that the neck was somehow crooked with respect to the top. I first had to notch out a space on the top for the neck tenon, and trim back the excess in that area too. Then I fit it all together.
Hey, it kinda looks like a guitar!!! You can see that the top is proud of the neck by a bit... my measurements suggest 10-15 mils.
It's hard to see from this picture, but I put a pencil mark on the top in the center seam where the bridge saddle will be. The straight edge is lined up perfectly with this line and the center line at the neck tenon... and the straight edge then runs true with the neck.
Now I just have to make sure that the top gets glued on correctly. A friend of mine suggested that I glue the top on with the neck attached to the side for this exact reason. As long as I can ensure that I don't glue the neck on with it, that sounds like a good idea.

No comments: