Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Back almost ready

Last night I found some time (& energy) to work on the back. I began to chisel the edges of the braces down to nothing at the edge where they will meet the rim. I also removed a little bit of the center strip as it contacted the head and tail blocks.
I know that most people notch the back braces into the rim... but I don't like this. It weakens the sides and the glue joint in those locations and I don't see any advantages of doing it this way.
I still need to remove a tad more in a few spots where the rim meets the back, and I also want to remove some more of the braces as a whole to allow the back to vibrate in sympathy along with the top. After that I will sand the braces down.
I have left it in the go-bar deck overnight, it seems to curl up if left out... I'll be glad when it's glued on for good.

No comments: