Monday, October 27, 2008

Freboard profiled and located

I marked the width of the fretboard at the nut (1.75") and the 14" fret (2.25") with respect to the center line, and then drew a straight line all the way to the end. Then I cut just outside this line with the band saw. To smooth the edge, I first tried my plane:

This kinda worked, but I did get some tear-out. Given that it is ebony, I think the cutting angle needed to be steeper than 45ยบ. But I don't have another iron to setup for this. So I sanded a bit, but ultimately used a scraper... this worked well.
Next, I put the fretboard on the neck and located it precisely. Then I drilled two holes with a 1 gauge (0.040") drill bit through the fretboard and through about 1/4" into the neck. These locating holes will be used for further neck work and gluing. It actually works well to then use 0.8mm (0.032") drill bits as temporary nails:

The neck is slightly over-sized... about 0.025" per side, it is also a bit too thick. I will have to file it down and shape it appropriately before sanding it to the proper finish.

No comments: