Monday, December 10, 2007

Bracing pattern sketched

Last night I began sketching the bracing pattern on the bottom of the soundboard. First I put a cutout of the plan on the board and marked where the braces ended.


Next, I removed the plan and began connecting the lines. I made 5 deviations from the plan:
1) I didn't like the 2" gap at the sides between the top of the X and the UTB, so I made the top of the X meet the sides at the UTB. I left the lower edge of the X at the same spot. This effectively made the X slightly taller, forward shifting the center of the X just a bit.
2) I made the bridge plate slightly shorter by about 1/8". Final height is 1-7/8".
3) I reversed the direction of the lower tone bars, they now connect to the sides on the treble side and the X on the bass side instead of vice versa. The angle they make is 32º with respect to the bottom of the bridge plate.
4) I angled the finger braces slightly more, instead of perpendicular with the X. They are now at 62º with respect to the bottom of the bridge plate.
5) The width of all braces are slightly different, in most cases thinner than the plan. I'll try to add specific dimensions once I get them cut.

Oh, and I noticed that the whole is not centered, off by about 1/16". Thank you very much LMI. Not that it will matter or be noticed by anyone but me (and you:)

No comments: