Thursday, October 25, 2007

Making a 15' Sanding Dish

I figured making a 15' dish would take longer than the 30' dish, but I had no idea. The 15' dish has twice the depth, and thus twice the material to remove (integration shows slightly less than twice, although my method for routing is more of a Riemann sum). I knew I wanted to move the radii closer together: 1" between radii a r<6", 3/4" from 6-9", and 1/2" from 9-12".
But doubling the material to remove added a lot of time because I couldn't route it at once like I could with the 30' dish... I had to make multiple paths with increasing depth for r<9".
Once the routing was done, I used a chisel to remove the left over ring slivers. The extra time it took to route because of the smaller increment between radii paid off in the end because the sanding only took about 20 minutes. Total job took about 4 hours.

No comments: