Tuesday, May 15, 2007

a... blog?

While I know what a blog is, I never thought I'd HAVE one. It takes a certain kind of vanity and ego to pour out ones thoughts for other people to read. I never thought I was either... hopefully not. Nevertheless, I have decided to create a blog to chronicle my journey into lutherie (maker of stringed instruments - in my case an acoustic guitar), primarily for my own benefit and other rookie luthiers going through the same stuff I am.
I have been thinking about this for many years, since 1998. But time, money, family, etc. have always discouraged me in a practical sense. And all this may still delay this further. But for now I am wanting to and planning to buy a kit in September '07 and begin building. I have already done a lot of reading and planning, and still have a lot of questions to answer in my own mind. But there is time. Ones brain can only assimilate so much information effectively without putting it to practical use. There is only so much I can learn without experiencing it... that is where true learning takes place.
The planning that I am referring to is three fold: financial, preparing my workshop (which is my basement), and determining what tools I will need to buy, borrow, make or do without. The better prepared I can be prior to starting this, the better.

No comments: